David and Wendy Phillips bought their vineyard near Te Kauwhata in 1965. The original vineyard was planted in the 1940’s. In 1972 they purchased an adjacent property and over time doubled the grape acreage. Initially they cultivated their vines non-organically, but found that this actually caused the grapes to be more susceptible to disease, so they changed to organic methods. They are no longer BioGro certified, but can provide an affidavit stating that the products they sell are organically cultivated. Wendy experiments with new methods to improve the crop and is currently using a natural plant oil infusion that counteracts mildew.